Friday, February 4, 2011

Maple Sweet Potato Mini Muffins


I had a hankering for muffins the other day. And I haven't posted a recipe in a while.

A friend brought Brandon and I muffins this past summer and we pan-fried them in an eesy-weensy bit of coconut oil and spread jelly all over them. It was a post-run breakfast that with right on target.

Speaking of "eensy-weensy" I got some mini muffin tins for Christmukkah this year. I have not used them yet.

What can I make the uses my mini muffin tins, requires pan frying in coconut oil, and makes use of various baking items that are simply lying around my kitchen?



Maple Sweet Potato Mini Muffins, of course!
(this recipe is adapted from Happy Herbivore)

Ingredients:

  • 2 prepared flax eggs
  • cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ¾ cup demara or turbinado sugar
  • 1 cup sweet potato, mashed
  • ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
  • ¼ cup pure maple syrup

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease muffin pan or spray paper cups with oil-spray to prevent sticking. In a small bowl, prepare "eggs" and set aside. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sweet potato or pumpkin, applesauce and maple syrup on top. Then add "eggs" and stir until just combined. Gently spoon the mixture into the cups of mini muffin pan, filling 3/4 of the way. Baking 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



My thoughts: in my next batch of these, I think I'm going to add some raw cacao nibs or maybe even some chopped dates. I absolutely love the flavor of these muffins, but they feel like they need something else...

Also, please don't mind that my white balance is all kinds of messed up on these pictures. Someday I'll figure out how to program my camera manually.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...